National curriculum content
- Read, write, order and compare numbers up to 10 000 000 and determine the value of each digit
- Round any whole number to a required degree of accuracy
- Use negative numbers in context, and calculate intervals across zero
- Solve number and practical problems that involve all of the above
- Numbers to 1,000,000
- Numbers to 10,000,000
- Read and write numbers to 10,000,000
- Powers of 10
- Number line to 10,000,000
- Compare and order any integers
- Round any integer
- Negative numbers
What we want children to know
- Represent numbers to ten million in different ways
- Read and write numbers to ten million in numerals and words
- Know the value of each digit to order and compare
- Use different strategies to round any number up to ten million
- Know how to work out which two numbers the number they are rounding sits between
- Recognise and use negative numbers used in context, including finding intervals across zero
What skills we want children to develop
Use knowledge to solve reasoning and problem solving questions such as:
True or False?
- 5, 463 x 18 = 18 x 5,463
- The temperature is -3. It gets 2 degrees warmer. The new temperature is -5?
Make up an example/Give further examples
- Create seven digit numbers where the digit sum is six and the tens of thousands digit is two. Eg 4020000. What is the largest/smallest number?
- A number rounded to the nearest ten is 540. What is the smallest possible number it could be?
- Two numbers each with two decimal places round to 23.1 to one decimal place. The total of the numbers is 46.2. What could the numbers be?
- Why is the zero in a number important when representing large numbers?
- What strategies can you use to match the representation to the correct number?
- How many ways can you complete the partitioned number?
- What is the value of each digit in the number?
- What is the value of the whole?
- What could/must/can’t the missing digit be? Explain how you know.
- Are all negative numbers whole numbers?
- Why do we round up when the following digit is 5 or above?
- What is the purpose of rounding?
- What place column do we need to look at when we round to the nearest 1,000?