National curriculum content
- Read, write and convert time between analogue and digital 12- and 24-hour clocks
- Solve problems involving converting from hours to minutes; minutes to seconds; years to months; weeks to days
- Convert between different units of measure; hour to minute
- Recap – Telling the time to 5 minutes
- Recap – Telling the time to the minute
- Recap – Using a.m. and p.m.
- Recap – 24hr clock
- Hours, minutes and seconds
- Years, months, weeks and days
- Analogue to digital (1)
- Analogue to digital 12 hour (2)
- Analogue to digital 24 hour
What we want children to know
- Tell the time to the nearest 5 and 1 minutes on an analogue clock
- Tell the time to the nearest hour, knowing how many minutes are left in the hour
- Use ‘morning’, ‘afternoon’, ‘a.m.’ and ‘p.m.’ to describe the time of day
- Tell the time on a 24-hour digital clock
- Know the number of minutes in an hour and seconds in a minute
- To know the concept of a year, month, week and day to be able to convert between the different units of time
- Convert between analogue and digital times using a format up to 12 hours
- Convert between analogue and digital times using a 24 hour clock
- Use 12 and 24 hour digital clocks, and a number line, to explore what happens after midday.
What skills we want children to develop
Use knowledge to solve reasoning and problem solving questions such as:
Dora is telling the time from an analogue clock.
Dora says, “The hour hand is pointing to XI the minute hand is pointing to XII”
What time is it?
Sort the times from the latest to the earliest.
5:30 p.m. 9:45 a.m.
9:45 p.m. 10:23 a.m.
7:31 a.m. 10:13 p.m.
8:30 a.m. 6:32 a.m.
12:24 a.m. 8:55 p.m.
2:11 a.m. 7:40 a.m
Is Teddy correct?
Teddy, “If the time has an 8 in it, it has to be 8 o’clock”
Fill in the Gaps
One hour = ____ minutes
One minute = ____ seconds.
Two hours = ____ minutes
Three minutes = ____ seconds.
Half an hour = ____ minutes
____ minutes = 240 seconds
- Which of the hands is the minute hand and which is the hour hand?
- Which Roman numeral represents the number ____?
- Do we ever say “45 minutes to” the hour?
- How do you know whether a time is in the morning or afternoon?
- Using the 12-hour clock, is the time an a.m. or a p.m. time?
- How many seconds are there in one minute? What could we use to check?
- How many minutes in _____ hours? How many seconds in ____ minutes?
- What do you notice about the time 1 o’clock in the afternoon on a 24 hour digital clock?