National Curriculum Content
Our local council, Derbyshire and Derby City are responsible for deciding the RE syllabus. The Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education for 2020–2025, states the principal aim of RE is to engage pupils in systematic enquiry into significant human questions which religion and worldviews address, so that they can develop the understanding and skills needed to appreciate and appraise varied responses to these questions, as well as develop responses of their own.
Our school uses the Discovery RE enquiry-based approach for teaching RE. Each curriculum area is created around an enquiry question.
What is the best way for a Sikh to show commitment to God?
Overall and Lesson Objectives
What we want children to know
• How to work as part of a group to complete a challenge.
• The relevance of their commitment to God in a modern world.
• How to compare the different ways Sikhs put their religion into practice.
• Discuss how Sikhs are prepared to break to law to follow their commitment.
What skills we want children to develop
• To understand individual liberty
• To have mutual respect
• To show tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
Sikh, Sikhism, Guru Nanak, Gurdwara, Sewa, Langar, Guru Granth Sahib, turban, commitment