National curriculum content
Describe and understand key aspects of human geography, including: types of settlement and land use, economic activity including trade links, and the distribution of natural resources including energy, food, minerals and water. Use maps and atlases to locate countries.
- Where does my school uniform and lunch come from?
- How do my clothes get to my wardrobe?
- Where does my fruit salad come from?
- What is fair trade?
- How has the import of products affected local industries?
What we want children to know
- Name where my clothes and food come from using an atlas, and understand that it is sometimes difficult to prove where materials and ingredients originate
- Understand how cotton clothing is produced, and explain ‘Fairtrade’
- Understand that fruit grows in particular climates and seasons, and explain where several fruits originate
- Understand the impact and importance of Fairtrade
What skills we want children to develop
- Use atlases and Digimaps to locate countries
- Map the journey of everyday items and raw materials
consumer, country of origin, continents, Fair trade, export, import, producer, recycled, retailer, sustainable, trade