National curriculum content
Know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world, including the nature of ancient civilisations. Study Ancient Greek life and achievements, and their influence on the western world. Learn about the legacy of Greek culture and the impact of this legacy on later periods in British history, including the present day. Understand the methods of historical enquiry, including how evidence is used rigorously to make historical claims.
What we want children to know
What skills we want children to develop
• Investigate open and closed questions about Ancient Greek life and society
• Pose their own questions relevant to an enquiry
• Know where to locate suitable information and ideas
• Make inferences and deductions
• Recognise different viewpoints and interpretations
• Compare and contrast information
• Explain causes and effects.
Acropolis, comedy, satire, tragedy, Corinthian, Doric and Ionic, democracy, dictatorship, Hellenistic, hoplite, Olympic Games, pankration, Spartans, triremes, tyrants