How does the Earth shake, rattle and roll?
National curriculum content
To extend their knowledge and understanding beyond the local area to include the location and characteristics of a range of the world’s most significant human and physical features. To develop their use of geographical knowledge, understanding and skills to enhance their locational and place knowledge.
1. To have an understanding of the causes, outcomes and location of earthquakes.
2. To understand and describe what volcanoes are.
3. To understand hazards of earthquakes and volcanoes, and to know where the world’s most active earthquake and volcanic zone is today.
4. To understand the benefits, dangers and hazards of living near a volcano and earthquake zone.
5. To investigate recent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, and the associated issues.
What we want children to know
What skills we want children to develop
Active volcano, Crater, Dormant Volcano, Earthquake, Eruption, Lava