National curriculum content
- Compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the bases of their appearance and simple physical properties.
- Describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock.
- Recognise soils are made from rocks and organic matter.
- Sort rocks on appearance
- Describe how fossils are formed
- Observe that soils are made from rocks and organic matter
- Identify types rocks
- Identify types of rocks and explain how they are made
What we want children to know
- How to classify rocks according to their properties
- How metamorphic, igneous and sedimentary rocks are made
- Sort and classify soil and say that soil is made from bits of rock and plants
- Soil is in layers and is made up of bits of rock and plants
- Know that foils represent an animal or plant that lived millions of years ago
- How plants and animals can be fossilised in ice and amber
What skills we want children to develop
- Classify rocks using a given criteria
- Apply what they know and use scientific language to describe how rocks are made
- Use question stems to ask questions and answer them
- Carry out comparative tests and measure using standard measures
- Report and present findings from enquiries
- Communicate their own explanations from questions that they have asked and answered
mineral, rock, permeable, impermeable, crystals, magma, sediment, sedimentary, fossil, palaeontology, granite, igneous, metamorphic, soil