So, these are strange times!
Covid-19 is starting to cause some disruption to our daily lives. However, we are determined to keep everything as normal as possible in school so that your child can continue to enjoy a fabulous education.
There will be challenges, but we aim to face them with fortitude, resilience … and kindness!
Here are some details to be aware of in the coming days:
- Class structures may change
If staff have to self-isolate, for whatever reason, we may collapse groups. We are lucky to have very small classes and collapsing groups means we are not bringing in supply teachers, just working in larger groups with our own incredible staff team.
- Clubs are cancelled
In order to look after our staff as they prepare work for possible closure and, possibly, look after larger groups, we are cancelling clubs so staff can focus on their core duties.
- Parents should not enter the building (unless they really have to, or unless they have previously arranged to collect their child from the dining hall.) This is to prevent unnecessary social ‘gathering’ and to help us dismiss the children more easily.
What you can do…
- Get on Class Dojo
This will be the main way staff will contact you and set work for the pupils in the event of forced closure. If you’re not signed up . . . sign up!!
- Update your contact details with Mrs Lynam in the office
We will use the text messaging service to keep in touch. If we don’t have your number, you won’t be in touch!
- Make sure your child has their Times Table Rock Stars login
The children enjoy using TTR to learn their times tables in a fun creative way. Check your log in details – now!
Working at home
If schools are closed our staff will continue to set work for your child to complete.
What will this look like?
Initially, pupils will bring printed resources home. This may be worksheets, work books or ideas for project work.
Staff may also use Class Dojo to send work out. Pupils can build their own portfolio on the site. Please make sure you are logged on. You can log on from any connected device.
What else can you do?
- The French homework project – see the front page of this newsletter.
- Times Table Rock Stars.
- Read. Read . . . and READ! Pupils will bring extra reading books home in the event of closure.
- Get physical! Get your child to be physically active for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Learn spellings. Pupils will bring their year group’s spellings home.
- Team up with your child to complete any project work set by their teacher.
- Explore the internet for appropriate learning platforms – such as BBC Bitesize. Staff will contact you with links on Class Dojo. You can also find useful links on the school website.
We strongly believe that something positive needs to come from this situation. Spend as much time with your kids as possible, play board games, smile, laugh and have fun. This is important!
The below website has the latest Derbyshire advice and guidance:
You can contact Public Health England using the details below:
PHE East Midlands response centre
Tel: 0344 225 4524 followed by Option 0 to get through to East Midlands Health Protection Team, then press option 1, then ask for the Coronavirus Response Centre. Open from 8am to 8pm.
You can contact the School Nurse using www.derbyshireschoolnurses.org.uk